Monday, February 15, 2010

Act I: What's this all about?

Well, I'm glad you asked! So this project is, in essence, the "Julie  & Julia Project" of movies. And I know what you're thinking, but no I do not expect a book deal, and no I do not expect a movie deal because well, the "Julia" of my project is the American Film Institute, and they hardly have the charm of Mrs. Childs and couldn't be portrayed by the even more charming Meryl Streep.

So I've told you why I am not doing this, (as you'll learn I like to break bad news first) but what I'm about to tell you is why I am doing this. Of course Julie & Julia was an inspiration, and I also have to credit a former classmate from high school doing her version called "Every Last Cookie" as she bakes her way through Martha Stewart's acclaimed cookie cookbook. I've also been inspired by the numerous other blogs that have popped up in a similar vain as J&J.  (The SF Bar experiment comes to mind.) Sure it's a trend of sorts, but I think people are setting goals for themselves, and trying to have fun, and connect with people while achieving them.

After announcing this project on my other blog,  State of Uncool, I planned to start January 1st. Unfortunately I was unable to do so. I hit a couple of metaphorical road blocks, but now we're in February and the leftover Valentine's day chocolates are on sale, so naturally, I'm gettin' real with this thing.

I'm well aware that the task before me is not to be taken lightly. These are, after all, movies, and movies and the movie business require the utmost respect from us spectators. Sure I'm not curing cancer, or "going green" or any other bleeding heart liberal ambition, but I'm watching 100 movies dammit. And I'm gonna watch 'em long and hard with the openest of open eyes and the keenest of critical analysis skills, and I swear to God, if I catch a boom in the shot, I will not hesitate to write about it.

And now it begins.

Cait

No comments:

Post a Comment